PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

For all your questions about tech hardware.

PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Bam » 04 Jun 2014, 16:19

Hello guys.

I got a problem for some days. My PC is rebooting (like when you cut the power off) randomly. By randomly i mean sometimes my pc is on for many hours and then suddently it reboots, sometimes it's 5 mins after powering on, sometimes only once, sometimes 3 or 4 times...

In the Event Viewer I have different errors like :

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504/en

Unloading the performance counter strings for service %1!s! (%2!s!) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx

The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process %1!s! extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx

I have no idea how to fix the problem... I think it's hardware but i've seen that sometimes it's bad drivers :?:

Any help would be welcomed !

Thanks.

PC Specs :

CPU : i5 3570k
GPU : AMD HD7970
RAM : Corsair 2x4Go
Power supply : Corsair HX650
MB : Gigabyte Z77-D3H
System : Windows 7 64bits.
أنا ابن 12 سنة وما هي هذه اللعنة
User avatar
Bam
 
Recent Donator Clan Member Game Admin
Posts: 3014
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 22:37
Location: France
Country: France (fr)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby lederp » 04 Jun 2014, 16:27

I'd monitor your temperatures first to see if anything is spiking (CPU?) if so it may have an auto shut off.
User avatar
lederp
 
Game Admin Clan Member Donator Recent Donator
Posts: 1648
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 21:33
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Calv » 04 Jun 2014, 16:29

Would be odd if it's a temperature cause, considering it sometimes happens after 5 minutes and then after 5 hours. On the other hand if your CPU is absolutely toast then it can easily overheat in 5 minutes.

I would consider just reinstalling your Windows cleanly, might be a nice way to reset a lot of problems. I do this every couple of months and it helps me keeping my PC up and running without any errors, unless hardware actually breaks. If reinstalling your OS doesn't fix it, it could well be your PSU or HDD.
User avatar
Calv
 
Game Admin Clan Member Donator Recent Donator
Posts: 3305
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 21:53
Location: Arnhem
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Bam » 04 Jun 2014, 16:30

lederp wrote:I'd monitor your temperatures first to see if anything is spiking (CPU?) if so it may have an auto shut off.



I've installed HWMonitor to check temperatures and voltages :

Image
أنا ابن 12 سنة وما هي هذه اللعنة
User avatar
Bam
 
Recent Donator Clan Member Game Admin
Posts: 3014
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 22:37
Location: France
Country: France (fr)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Calv » 04 Jun 2014, 16:34

Those are fine temperatures, how long has your PC been running?
User avatar
Calv
 
Game Admin Clan Member Donator Recent Donator
Posts: 3305
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 21:53
Location: Arnhem
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby eStecko » 04 Jun 2014, 16:35

Could be many things. My bet is on one of those things:
Virus, corrupted drivers or overheating/damaged hardware.

If you have a secondary HDD as a backup one or from a friend, try swaping them out. It could be dying out. Another possibility is a damaged RAM module, so trying a RAM test or doing a swap-around with missing modules could help you locate a possible issue here.

Also monitor your system temp by something like Speccy and see if the computer does not go down due to those issues.

I would start by trying to reinstalling your drivers and redistributable files you have in your system. Doing a clean reinstall would be the best option. Then i would move on to doing a classic scan phase by your antivirus, TDSS killer, Spybot S&D, Anti-Malware and ComboFix (from bleepingcomputer).
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Knowing may be a half the battle, but in some cases proper spirit can win the battle before it even starts.

Honor, Honesty, Loyalty, Courage, Benevolence, Respect, Rectitude
User avatar
eStecko
 
Global Moderator Clan Member Game Reviewer Game Admin
Posts: 5483
Joined: 08 Oct 2010, 10:25
Country: Japan (jp)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Bam » 04 Jun 2014, 16:39

eStecko wrote:Could be many things. My bet is on one of those things:
Virus, corrupted drivers or overheating/damaged hardware.

If you have a secondary HDD as a backup one or from a friend, try swaping them out. It could be dying out. Another possibility is a damaged RAM module, so trying a RAM test or doing a swap-around with missing modules could help you locate a possible issue here.

Also monitor your system temp by something like Speccy and see if the computer does not go down due to those issues.

I would start by trying to reinstalling your drivers and redistributable files you have in your system. Doing a clean reinstall would be the best option. Then i would move on to doing a classic scan phase by your antivirus, TDSS killer, Spybot S&D, Anti-Malware and ComboFix (from bleepingcomputer).



I'm gonna try a memory test for the RAM and antivirus/malware scan.

I'll keep you updated
أنا ابن 12 سنة وما هي هذه اللعنة
User avatar
Bam
 
Recent Donator Clan Member Game Admin
Posts: 3014
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 22:37
Location: France
Country: France (fr)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Calv » 04 Jun 2014, 16:40

If you reinstall your PC completely (format the HDD, SSD in your case) you won't have to sweep for a virus :roll:

Sweep for a virus if you want to keep this OS, do you scan frequently?
User avatar
Calv
 
Game Admin Clan Member Donator Recent Donator
Posts: 3305
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 21:53
Location: Arnhem
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby eStecko » 04 Jun 2014, 16:42

Calv wrote:If you reinstall your PC completely (format the HDD, SSD in your case) you won't have to sweep for a virus :roll:

Sweep for a virus if you want to keep this OS, do you scan frequently?

And if that's not the problem, he will lose a lot of time. Formatting drive is in my personal opinion a last choice of action.
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Knowing may be a half the battle, but in some cases proper spirit can win the battle before it even starts.

Honor, Honesty, Loyalty, Courage, Benevolence, Respect, Rectitude
User avatar
eStecko
 
Global Moderator Clan Member Game Reviewer Game Admin
Posts: 5483
Joined: 08 Oct 2010, 10:25
Country: Japan (jp)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Bam » 04 Jun 2014, 16:44

Calv wrote:If you reinstall your PC completely (format the HDD, SSD in your case) you won't have to sweep for a virus :roll:

Sweep for a virus if you want to keep this OS, do you scan frequently?



I can't do a clean windows install ATM because i installed it with a bootable USB from a friend and i don't have it anymore.
First i'll use MemTest86+ and if nothing is wrong i'm gonna try get the USB back to reinstall windows
أنا ابن 12 سنة وما هي هذه اللعنة
User avatar
Bam
 
Recent Donator Clan Member Game Admin
Posts: 3014
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 22:37
Location: France
Country: France (fr)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Calv » 04 Jun 2014, 17:20

eStecko wrote:
Calv wrote:If you reinstall your PC completely (format the HDD, SSD in your case) you won't have to sweep for a virus :roll:

Sweep for a virus if you want to keep this OS, do you scan frequently?

And if that's not the problem, he will lose a lot of time. Formatting drive is in my personal opinion a last choice of action.


A lot of time? You only have to make sure you store the files you want to keep, formatting takes 2 seconds and the installation takes 15 minutes. But I get your point, it's a bit of a hassle for some people I guess.
User avatar
Calv
 
Game Admin Clan Member Donator Recent Donator
Posts: 3305
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 21:53
Location: Arnhem
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Bam » 04 Jun 2014, 17:37

My important files, games, are on my second HD. Windows is installed on a SSD, so formatting isn't a problem.
I just need to find the ISO for windows.
I just finished MemTest86+, no error.

As soon as i get my ISo i reinstall windows
أنا ابن 12 سنة وما هي هذه اللعنة
User avatar
Bam
 
Recent Donator Clan Member Game Admin
Posts: 3014
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 22:37
Location: France
Country: France (fr)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby eStecko » 04 Jun 2014, 17:53

Calv wrote:
eStecko wrote:
Calv wrote:If you reinstall your PC completely (format the HDD, SSD in your case) you won't have to sweep for a virus :roll:

Sweep for a virus if you want to keep this OS, do you scan frequently?

And if that's not the problem, he will lose a lot of time. Formatting drive is in my personal opinion a last choice of action.


A lot of time? You only have to make sure you store the files you want to keep, formatting takes 2 seconds and the installation takes 15 minutes. But I get your point, it's a bit of a hassle for some people I guess.

True, the re-installation itself is not too long. Usualy gutting out Windows fat, installing redists/software, backing up saves, work, etc and putting it back into prefered setup takes quite a lot of time. Just PCmasterrace things. ;)
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Knowing may be a half the battle, but in some cases proper spirit can win the battle before it even starts.

Honor, Honesty, Loyalty, Courage, Benevolence, Respect, Rectitude
User avatar
eStecko
 
Global Moderator Clan Member Game Reviewer Game Admin
Posts: 5483
Joined: 08 Oct 2010, 10:25
Country: Japan (jp)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Ahmed » 04 Jun 2014, 18:08

did you check the PSU ?? a friend of mine got same issue it turned out to be corrupted/worn PSU cables
User avatar
Ahmed
 
Clan Member Game Admin Game Reviewer
Posts: 4646
Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 15:57
Location: IRAQ
Country: Iraq (iq)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Bam » 04 Jun 2014, 18:24

Ahmed wrote:did you check the PSU ?? a friend of mine got same issue it turned out to be corrupted/worn PSU cables



How can i check the PSU ?

On HWMonitor voltage seem good and the prob happens randomly so... For example today it happened 3 times and since i made this thread i didn't have any reboot...

You can test if a PSU is dead or not, but you can't test if a PSU has random power cut... :?
أنا ابن 12 سنة وما هي هذه اللعنة
User avatar
Bam
 
Recent Donator Clan Member Game Admin
Posts: 3014
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 22:37
Location: France
Country: France (fr)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Ahmed » 04 Jun 2014, 18:35

Bam wrote:You can test if a PSU is dead or not, but you can't test if a PSU has random power cut... :?


could be just a cable is acting crazy like when there is load it gets little hot so it fails etc.. there is a lot to it
so it worth checking i guess specially when all the logical reasons (heat/bad hardware) seems minimal
User avatar
Ahmed
 
Clan Member Game Admin Game Reviewer
Posts: 4646
Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 15:57
Location: IRAQ
Country: Iraq (iq)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Calv » 04 Jun 2014, 19:37

eStecko wrote:True, the re-installation itself is not too long. Usualy gutting out Windows fat, installing redists/software, backing up saves, work, etc and putting it back into prefered setup takes quite a lot of time. Just PCmasterrace things. ;)


I guess I'm a simple person, when I reinstall I only have to keep about 100MB worth of files :D
User avatar
Calv
 
Game Admin Clan Member Donator Recent Donator
Posts: 3305
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 21:53
Location: Arnhem
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby bl0m5t3r » 04 Jun 2014, 20:01

i've scanned over the thread, and i saw some mentions but no reply from your side (sorry if i missed). but did you update any drivers/windows/programs/etc. lately (specifically between you started having the problems and before).

cause imho, if that isn't the case i would totally focus on hardware. do indeed run a stress test and a memory test and scan your drives for errors, all preferably not from windows. otherwise rollback your changes (hoping you have windows rollback on, this is what that is made for) and check that first.

good luck.
Image
Image

Im not pro Jugger. Im anti-whining. Theres a major difference.(c) MrBrooks
User avatar
bl0m5t3r
 
Clan Member Global Moderator Site Admin Game Admin Recent Donator Code Monkey Donator
Posts: 12551
Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 19:24
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands (nl)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Bam » 04 Jun 2014, 20:31

bl0m5t3r wrote:i've scanned over the thread, and i saw some mentions but no reply from your side (sorry if i missed). but did you update any drivers/windows/programs/etc. lately (specifically between you started having the problems and before).

cause imho, if that isn't the case i would totally focus on hardware. do indeed run a stress test and a memory test and scan your drives for errors, all preferably not from windows. otherwise rollback your changes (hoping you have windows rollback on, this is what that is made for) and check that first.

good luck.



The problem is that i already had this prob some weeks ago but it happenned only once or twice, so i just thought it was a simple bug. But since a few days (when i don't use the PC for a couple of days) the problem happen more often.

More my PC runs during days, less i got reboot. By that i mean if i don't use my PC for 4 days and then use it again i'll have a lot of reboot, but if i use my PC everyday for 5 day i'm not gonna have much trouble.
This is strange I know.

So, if this is a problem from a driver it was weeks ago and i can't do rollbacks. I already did a memtest and a chkdsk, not error
أنا ابن 12 سنة وما هي هذه اللعنة
User avatar
Bam
 
Recent Donator Clan Member Game Admin
Posts: 3014
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 22:37
Location: France
Country: France (fr)

Re: PC rebooting randomly without BSOD

Postby Ahmed » 04 Jun 2014, 20:45

Bam wrote:More my PC runs during days, less i got reboot. By that i mean if i don't use my PC for 4 days and then use it again i'll have a lot of reboot, but if i use my PC everyday for 5 day i'm not gonna have much trouble.
This is strange I know.


another reason to check the power stuff
User avatar
Ahmed
 
Clan Member Game Admin Game Reviewer
Posts: 4646
Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 15:57
Location: IRAQ
Country: Iraq (iq)

Next

Return to Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest