Purchased Windows 8 . Some Queries/Doubts

For all your questions about software. Please use the gaming forum for gaming questions.

Purchased Windows 8 . Some Queries/Doubts

Postby Preacher » 25 Mar 2014, 13:33

Hi guys, I just bought Windows 8 Pro X64 and I have some Queries/doubts regarding this :

1) Is it right that I am told that I can use this on only one PC . I was told that if I install it on my PC , then I would not be able to install it on my other PC even if I use the key and the DVD . Why is that ?

2) And I am getting a SSD next week , so I asked the shopkeeper that can I install the windows on my regular HDD now and then after one week , I format and install it on my SSD ? The shopkeeper said that I can only format and install once a month !? I was like WTF !!?? He says that it is MS' rule.
So what the shopkeeper said is true ? Can I not format more than once a month ?

3) And mine is the OEM version, so will I get Customer Support from MS ?

4) What is the difference between an OEM and the other Version ( which is Boxed Packed ) ? Does the OEM version lack features of the other version ?

Kindly help.
Preacher

Re: Purchased Windows 8 . Some Queries/Doubts

Postby Chege » 25 Mar 2014, 13:36

OEM is usually only sold directly with a PC (atleast in germany) and already installed and you only get a recovery dvd. the SB (self builder) is sold in shops and you can install it on your pc yourself.
dunno about the other questions tho
[18:52] FK#Cheezzhead: i may have
[18:52] FK#Cheezzhead: accidentally
[18:52] FK#Cheezzhead: removed our automatic console messages
Chege

Clan Member Donator Recent Donator Game Admin

Postby bl0m5t3r » 25 Mar 2014, 18:00

1] yes, but this sound pretty logical right? one license, one pc. but ofc. if you buy a new pc, or your pc breaks down etc. you can transfer the license to another computer. no problem. i just moved w8 from my old pc to my new one, need to call MS where i got an automated tape and had to punch in some numbers. was done in 5minutes.

2] shouldn't be a problem, you can transfer windows from hdd to sdd, since its the same computer it shouldn't be a problem at all. search the internet for best practices to move to ssd, probably using some free cloning software or maybe even using the build-in options of w8.

3] OEM is only for newly sold computers, its not allowed to install OEM on old computers. other then that is exactly the same, with the exception that you can't upgrade w7 with it (as its not meant for old computers). support is the same.

4] see question 3

5] learn to google. :ugeek:

Im not pro Jugger. Im anti-whining. Theres a major difference.(c) MrBrooks
bl0m5t3r

Clan Member Global Moderator Site Admin Game Admin Recent Donator Code Monkey Donator

Postby Preacher » 25 Mar 2014, 18:41

bl0m5t3r wrote:1] yes, but this sound pretty logical right? one license, one pc. but ofc. if you buy a new pc, or your pc breaks down etc. you can transfer the license to another computer. no problem. i just moved w8 from my old pc to my new one, need to call MS where i got an automated tape and had to punch in some numbers. was done in 5minutes.

2] shouldn't be a problem, you can transfer windows from hdd to sdd, since its the same computer it shouldn't be a problem at all. search the internet for best practices to move to ssd, probably using some free cloning software or maybe even using the build-in options of w8.

3] OEM is only for newly sold computers, its not allowed to install OEM on old computers. other then that is exactly the same, with the exception that you can't upgrade w7 with it (as its not meant for old computers). support is the same.

4] see question 3

5] learn to google. :ugeek:

Thanks for clearing my doubts. And yeah will use google more from now onwards . :mrgreen:
Preacher

Postby Ahmed » 25 Mar 2014, 21:05

8 or 8.1 ?? afaik win 8 owners get free upgrade to 8.1
Ahmed

Clan Member Game Admin Game Reviewer

Postby eStecko » 25 Mar 2014, 22:09

Ahmed wrote:8 or 8.1 ?? afaik win 8 owners get free upgrade to 8.1

Which also breaks 80% of games. :mrgreen:
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Knowing may be a half the battle, but in some cases proper spirit can win the battle before it even starts.

Honor, Honesty, Loyalty, Courage, Benevolence, Respect, Rectitude
eStecko

Global Moderator Clan Member Game Reviewer Game Admin

Postby Ahmed » 26 Mar 2014, 00:22

eStecko wrote:Which also breaks 80% of games. :mrgreen:

got few friends with 8.1 playing games fine, but i guess you are talking about older games in that case true:P
Ahmed

Clan Member Game Admin Game Reviewer

Postby eStecko » 26 Mar 2014, 00:27

Ahmed wrote:

got few friends with 8.1 playing games fine, but i guess you are talking about older games in that case true:P

Indeed, i do mean older games... that came out before win8. :mrgreen:
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Knowing may be a half the battle, but in some cases proper spirit can win the battle before it even starts.

eStecko

Postby Preacher » 26 Mar 2014, 04:24

One more thing, shall I keep "Windows Update" ON ?

Its Win 8 Pro x64 . And yes I can upgrade to 8.1 for free. :)
Preacher

Postby SomeoNe! » 26 Mar 2014, 18:01

Evan wrote:One more thing, shall I keep "Windows Update" ON ?

why buy when you can download from the bay of the pirates, throwing money on nothing. You know how much beer you can buy with that cash?
SomeoNe!

Donator Clan Member

Postby Preacher » 26 Mar 2014, 18:43

SomeoNe! wrote:
Evan wrote:One more thing, shall I keep "Windows Update" ON ?

why buy when you can download from the bay of the pirates, throwing money on nothing. You know how much beer you can buy with that cash?

Buying is always better and safe. :ugeek:

Before buying I searched about pirating Win 8 ( though I didnt wanted to ) and everywhere I go , the downloaders are commenting that the activator of win 8 and 8.1 are dropping a trojan or some kind of spyware which steals ur bank accounts information , ur credentials and everything. Once u activate the windows using that activator , it will secretly steal ur credentials. Therefore I am not going to risk my credentials and important stuffs, and besides I love MS and I wanna support MS for making such a good windows and also I like to be LEGIT. Also I get security updates and free upgrade to 8.1 and 8.2 ( upcoming ).

So yeah its worth the money. 8-)
Preacher

Postby oldFox-64 » 27 Mar 2014, 18:36

0] You can't install Linux on dual-boot.
oldFox-64

Postby MaliBoo » 30 Mar 2014, 15:24

eStecko wrote:
Ahmed wrote:

Indeed, i do mean older games... that came out before win8. :mrgreen:

I installed Viper racing (from '98) without even compatibility mode on 8.1. I only have 6-7 games installed but they all run flawlessly, more fps than the w7 too. Care to mention a couple of [relevant] games that apparently dont work?
MaliBoo

Game Admin Clan Member

Postby eStecko » 30 Mar 2014, 15:32

MaliBoo wrote:I installed Viper racing (from '98) without even compatibility mode on 8.1. I only have 6-7 games installed but they all run flawlessly, more fps than the w7 too. Care to mention a couple of [relevant] games that apparently dont work?

Sure. Half of games on Steam. Starcraft 2. M&M games. Or just 2 seconds on google...
https://www.google.cz/?gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=5 ... ames+crash

more fps than the w7

dat troll... please :mrgreen:

"If it doesn't happen to me, it means that does not exist, right?" But hey, it's not like Win8.1's reputation won't walk infront of the product forever. Like PS2 devs said... "Release a bad product on launch and it will be bad forever even if you fix it."

eStecko

Postby bl0m5t3r » 30 Mar 2014, 15:51

i agree with maliboo, everything runs just fine on w8.1 and the platform as a whole feels more snappy then w7. i'm not a fps-measure-addict so i'm not sure about the actual framerate comparisons but all runs smooth.

Im not pro Jugger. Im anti-whining. Theres a major difference.(c) MrBrooks
bl0m5t3r

Clan Member Global Moderator Site Admin Game Admin Recent Donator Code Monkey Donator

Postby lederp » 30 Mar 2014, 15:55

eStecko wrote:
MaliBoo wrote:I installed Viper racing (from '98) without even compatibility mode on 8.1. I only have 6-7 games installed but they all run flawlessly, more fps than the w7 too. Care to mention a couple of [relevant] games that apparently dont work?

Sure. Half of games on Steam. Starcraft 2. M&M games. Or just 2 seconds on google...
https://www.google.cz/?gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=5 ... ames+crash

more fps than the w7

dat troll... please :mrgreen:

"If it doesn't happen to me, it means that does not exist, right?" But hey, it's not like Win8.1's reputation won't walk infront of the product forever. Like PS2 devs said... "Release a bad product on launch and it will be bad forever even if you fix it."

top results for that all last year, nothing for this year, perhaps problems were fixed?
lederp

Game Admin Clan Member Donator Recent Donator

Postby Calv » 30 Mar 2014, 15:58

eStecko wrote:

Which also breaks 80% of games. :mrgreen:

Then I've been lucky playing the 20% games that do work on 8.1 :D I liked 8.1 a lot. Sadly after my motherboard broke I couldn't install 8.1 anymore (same setup), it just wouldn't work properly.
Calv

Game Admin Clan Member Donator Recent Donator

Postby eStecko » 30 Mar 2014, 16:07

Guess it was fixed and i was wrong, what a rare sight indeed. :mrgreen:

Although the reputation will stick to it and i still have no real reason to move from winxp/win7 dual boot. One of those things that baffles my mind.

On the fps topic, i personaly wont really care if my games from '98 will run on 1000 or 1010 fps. :lol:

eStecko

Postby Preacher » 30 Mar 2014, 18:03

I agree, even COD GHOSTS/BF4/Thief and other recent releases run better and much faster on Win 8.1 than on Win 7. Win 8.1 is very fast , smooth and reliable 8-)
And I have no doubt that in the near future upcoming games' Recommend Windows requirement would be Win 8 . :D
Preacher

Postby eStecko » 30 Mar 2014, 18:23

Preacher wrote:I agree, even COD GHOSTS/BF4/Thief and other recent releases run better and much faster on Win 8.1 than on Win 7. Win 8.1 is very fast , smooth and reliable 8-)

Ofc, you upgraded your pc, so no wonder. Not to mention the performance comparisons have gaps of 0 - 2 fps in both ways making on clear winner. I mean what do you expect from OS that is build up from Win7. :P
Preacher wrote:And I have no doubt that in the near future upcoming games' Recommend Windows requirement would be Win 8 . :D

Nope. And there is a simple reason. Why would you create a game that would sell a lot less. Not to mention there are games exlusive to Win8 like Pinball FX2, which is actualy good, but nobody cares since there will be release for older OS this year. Also nobody really cares about DirectX 11.1 / 11.2 when "as the Microsoft declined to answer whether DX12 would support Windows 7, and the company may have a Windows 9 to sell by the time DX12 is released." and even then, it will take year(s) until DX12 is fully used by developers.

eStecko

Next

Return to Software