[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4918: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4919: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4920: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
Frag Kings • Purchased Windows 8 . Some Queries/Doubts • Software

Purchased Windows 8 . Some Queries/Doubts

For all your questions about software. Please use the gaming forum for gaming questions.

Purchased Windows 8 . Some Queries/Doubts

Postby Preacher » 25 Mar 2014, 13:33

Hi guys, I just bought Windows 8 Pro X64 and I have some Queries/doubts regarding this :

1) Is it right that I am told that I can use this on only one PC . I was told that if I install it on my PC , then I would not be able to install it on my other PC even if I use the key and the DVD . Why is that ?

2) And I am getting a SSD next week , so I asked the shopkeeper that can I install the windows on my regular HDD now and then after one week , I format and install it on my SSD ? The shopkeeper said that I can only format and install once a month !? I was like WTF !!?? He says that it is MS' rule.
So what the shopkeeper said is true ? Can I not format more than once a month ?

3) And mine is the OEM version, so will I get Customer Support from MS ?

4) What is the difference between an OEM and the other Version ( which is Boxed Packed ) ? Does the OEM version lack features of the other version ?

Kindly help.
Preacher

Re: Purchased Windows 8 . Some Queries/Doubts

Postby Chege » 25 Mar 2014, 13:36

OEM is usually only sold directly with a PC (atleast in germany) and already installed and you only get a recovery dvd. the SB (self builder) is sold in shops and you can install it on your pc yourself.
dunno about the other questions tho
[18:52] FK#Cheezzhead: i may have
[18:52] FK#Cheezzhead: accidentally
[18:52] FK#Cheezzhead: removed our automatic console messages
Chege

Clan Member Donator Recent Donator Game Admin

Postby bl0m5t3r » 25 Mar 2014, 18:00

1] yes, but this sound pretty logical right? one license, one pc. but ofc. if you buy a new pc, or your pc breaks down etc. you can transfer the license to another computer. no problem. i just moved w8 from my old pc to my new one, need to call MS where i got an automated tape and had to punch in some numbers. was done in 5minutes.

2] shouldn't be a problem, you can transfer windows from hdd to sdd, since its the same computer it shouldn't be a problem at all. search the internet for best practices to move to ssd, probably using some free cloning software or maybe even using the build-in options of w8.

3] OEM is only for newly sold computers, its not allowed to install OEM on old computers. other then that is exactly the same, with the exception that you can't upgrade w7 with it (as its not meant for old computers). support is the same.

4] see question 3

5] learn to google. :ugeek:

bl0m5t3r

Clan Member Global Moderator Site Admin Game Admin Recent Donator Code Monkey Donator

Postby Preacher » 25 Mar 2014, 18:41

Preacher

Postby Ahmed » 25 Mar 2014, 21:05

8 or 8.1 ?? afaik win 8 owners get free upgrade to 8.1
Ahmed

Clan Member Game Admin Game Reviewer

Postby eStecko » 25 Mar 2014, 22:09

eStecko

Global Moderator Clan Member Game Reviewer Game Admin

Postby Ahmed » 26 Mar 2014, 00:22

Ahmed

Clan Member Game Admin Game Reviewer

Postby eStecko » 26 Mar 2014, 00:27

eStecko

Postby Preacher » 26 Mar 2014, 04:24

Preacher

Postby SomeoNe! » 26 Mar 2014, 18:01

SomeoNe!

Donator Clan Member

Postby Preacher » 26 Mar 2014, 18:43

Preacher

Postby oldFox-64 » 27 Mar 2014, 18:36

0] You can't install Linux on dual-boot.
oldFox-64

Postby MaliBoo » 30 Mar 2014, 15:24

MaliBoo

Game Admin Clan Member

Postby eStecko » 30 Mar 2014, 15:32

eStecko

Postby bl0m5t3r » 30 Mar 2014, 15:51

i agree with maliboo, everything runs just fine on w8.1 and the platform as a whole feels more snappy then w7. i'm not a fps-measure-addict so i'm not sure about the actual framerate comparisons but all runs smooth.

bl0m5t3r

Clan Member Global Moderator Site Admin Game Admin Recent Donator Code Monkey Donator

Postby lederp » 30 Mar 2014, 15:55

lederp

Game Admin Clan Member Donator Recent Donator

Postby Calv » 30 Mar 2014, 15:58

Calv

Game Admin Clan Member Donator Recent Donator

Postby eStecko » 30 Mar 2014, 16:07

Guess it was fixed and i was wrong, what a rare sight indeed. :mrgreen:

Although the reputation will stick to it and i still have no real reason to move from winxp/win7 dual boot. One of those things that baffles my mind.

On the fps topic, i personaly wont really care if my games from '98 will run on 1000 or 1010 fps. :lol:
eStecko

Postby Preacher » 30 Mar 2014, 18:03

I agree, even COD GHOSTS/BF4/Thief and other recent releases run better and much faster on Win 8.1 than on Win 7. Win 8.1 is very fast , smooth and reliable 8-)
And I have no doubt that in the near future upcoming games' Recommend Windows requirement would be Win 8 . :D
Preacher

Postby eStecko » 30 Mar 2014, 18:23

eStecko

Next

Return to Software