[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 122: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4918: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4919: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4920: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
Frag Kings • Getting a New Headset • Hardware

Getting a New Headset

For all your questions about tech hardware.

Getting a New Headset

Postby Preacher » 01 Apr 2014, 15:56

Hey guys, I am getting a new 5.1 Surround headset replacing my crappy headset. So which brand should I go for ?
How will be the Logitech G35 and G430 ?
What do you recommend ? :)
Preacher

Re: Getting a New Headset

Postby eStecko » 01 Apr 2014, 16:01

eStecko

Global Moderator Clan Member Game Reviewer Game Admin

Postby MrBrooks » 01 Apr 2014, 16:03

MrBrooks

Donator Global Moderator Clan Member Recent Donator

Postby Preacher » 01 Apr 2014, 16:07

Preacher

Postby MrBrooks » 01 Apr 2014, 16:47

MrBrooks

Postby Deemtee » 01 Apr 2014, 21:45

personally i wouldn't bother with 5.1 / 7.1 headsets because i think they're waste of money.

and look into proper headphones (denon, sennheiser, akg) and get a clip mic..

i've got creative aurvana live2's and they're so much better in every way (positional audio, quality,comfortable) compared to my previous ones ( 5h,7h,siberia v2 )

heres a pretty good list of choices, im sure you find one lol =D
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lus ... -faq-added
Deemtee

Donator Recent Donator Clan Member Game Admin

Postby eStecko » 01 Apr 2014, 21:51

Last edited by eStecko on 01 Apr 2014, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
eStecko

Postby MrBrooks » 01 Apr 2014, 22:00

[quote="Deemtee"]personally i wouldn't bother with 5.1 / 7.1 headsets because i think they're waste of money.

and look into proper headphones (denon, sennheiser, akg) and get a clip mic..

i've got creative aurvana live2's and they're so much better in every way (positional audio, quality,comfortable) compared to my previous ones ( 5h,7h,siberia v2 )

heres a pretty good list of choices, im sure you find one lol =D
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lus ... -faq-added[/quote]

lolno

Nobody in their sane mind can say that when they've tried true surround. "Waste of money" is a relatively subjective term, considering you are likely to spend 100-300EUR on a good weekend, anyway.
MrBrooks

Postby eStecko » 01 Apr 2014, 22:05

eStecko

Postby Deemtee » 01 Apr 2014, 22:29

Deemtee

Donator Recent Donator Clan Member Game Admin

Postby eStecko » 01 Apr 2014, 22:40

eStecko

Postby csniper » 02 Apr 2014, 00:00

csniper

Code Monkey Clan Member Donator Recent Donator

Postby MrBrooks » 02 Apr 2014, 00:06

MrBrooks

Postby Chege » 02 Apr 2014, 09:28

[18:52] FK#Cheezzhead: i may have
[18:52] FK#Cheezzhead: accidentally
[18:52] FK#Cheezzhead: removed our automatic console messages
Chege

Clan Member Donator Recent Donator Game Admin

Postby MrBrooks » 02 Apr 2014, 11:15

MrBrooks

Postby Cheezzhead » 04 Apr 2014, 03:08

So we can all just agree that brooks' role in life has been reduced to professional critiques of headsets?
[00:04] PyRo: WHY DID I JOIN THIS SERVER?!
[00:04] PyRo: no w8, its 2011
[00:04] PyRo: dat_server
Cheezzhead

Site Admin Global Moderator Game Reviewer Event Manager Donator Game Admin Clan Member Recent Donator Code Monkey

Postby MrBrooks » 04 Apr 2014, 07:53

MrBrooks

Postby Preacher » 04 Apr 2014, 09:40

Preacher

Postby MrBrooks » 04 Apr 2014, 10:23

But to be more elaborate on the reasons why I seem so opinionated. I did a hell of a lot of research before I bought a surround headset. My first pair (Medusas) cost me around 60 EUR and that kind of investment warrants some effort. My mistake was that I was persuaded by a competent and competitive gamer's opinion, but I also noticed that whenever "virtual vs true" arguments came up, those who claimed that true surround sound was a placebo, usually didn't have any experience with them.

By the end of the day, pure logic won. 3 speakers per ear vs virtual surround via 1 speaker per ear. When it comes to the effects it had on gaming, I was not disappointed, in fact, I was "wow´d". They required some finetuning, but once I got them set up optimally, the definition of audio, for me, changed. Their build quality sucked, though. One by one, rear and mid speakers gave up after about 2 months of use.

If the game supports surround sound (and most do nowadays), don't go virtual or stereo (for gaming [sic!]). If you really can't afford a pair of speakers which you mostly use for gaming, I guess Plantronics 780 offer a good bang for the buck.

I can't stress this enough, though. Surround sound in true speakers is very effective. You can hear even everything happen around you and you can pinpoint the source of the sound without turning. This is the main difference between stereo/virtual and true surround. With the first, you occasionally have to "search" for the source by turning towards it, because the surround effect is "muddy", unprecise. With true surround, you are already reacting to the sound, because you know its precise distance, speed, direction and if you know the map, location too.

By all means, it becomes a wallhack.
MrBrooks

Postby Cheezzhead » 04 Apr 2014, 11:18

[00:04] PyRo: WHY DID I JOIN THIS SERVER?!
[00:04] PyRo: no w8, its 2011
[00:04] PyRo: dat_server
Cheezzhead

Site Admin Global Moderator Game Reviewer Event Manager Donator Game Admin Clan Member Recent Donator Code Monkey

Next

Return to Hardware