The buttered cat paradox

It eats bullshit like no other.

The buttered cat paradox

Postby catt0 » 28 Jan 2011, 16:31

There are two commonly known facts:
1st: cats always land on their feets
2nd: buttered toast always lands on the buttered side

But now the question:
What happens if you place a buttered toast with the buttered side up on a cat and drop them both?

I mean the cat will try to land on their feet, but at the same time the toast must land on the buttered side, which is not possible if the cat lands on their feet.

I thought about the problem for some time and I think the cat will never touch the ground. I am just not sure if it will stay statical hoovering some centimeters above the ground, or will rotate with increasing speed, leading to incineration of the cat and toast, because of air resistance. The latter possibility, combined with the stupidity of my cat, prevents me from testing it.

A comic strip to show the problem:

Source
"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat." - Albert Einstein
catt0

Game Admin Clan Member Code Monkey Donator

Re: The buttered cat paradox

Postby RaZiel » 28 Jan 2011, 17:39

butter..... does not ~always~ land on the butter side
RaZiel

Clan Member

Postby Cristi » 28 Jan 2011, 17:46

catt0 wrote: will rotate with increasing speed, leading to incineration of the cat and toast, because of air resistance.

This is the most logical scenario. However if you were to place the cat/toast in a vacuum and equip the cat with a breathing mask you would eliminate air friction thus leading to a perpetual and free supply of energy (well at least until the cat dies of old age or other diseases that might afflict it). But of course the great oil magnates suppress this kind of research and prevent such knowledge from reaching the masses, because all they think about is their wealth and don't care about technological advances.

EDIT: Raziel is one of the oil magnates I was talking about.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".
Cristi

Clan Member Global Moderator

Postby SupaFly proCat » 29 Jan 2011, 02:10

Then again..
Problem gravity?
SupaFly proCat

Postby hEAdz » 29 Jan 2011, 13:22

SupaFly proCat wrote:Then again..
[ http://trollscience.com/image/f/full/a9f379b78084ef2430a1465acc7ec922.jpg ]
Problem gravity?

lol just wanted to post that. troll physics ftw
hEAdz

Retired Fragger

Postby braindead123 » 30 Jan 2011, 10:30

It has also been proven that this is how the aliens create UFO's.
braindead123

Postby Palerider » 01 Mar 2011, 12:50

Cristi wrote:But of course the great oil magnates suppress this kind of research and prevent such knowledge from reaching the masses, because all they think about is their wealth and don't care about technological advances.

No the oil magnates will allow this to go ahead so as to shoot it down SO DAMN HARD IT WILL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY AGAIN!!!!!! :twisted:
When life gives you lemons, dont make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back!Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
Palerider

Clan Member Donator Game Admin

Return to The Trashcan